Search This Blog

7.19.2011

Official Selections & Official Announcements

I'll open this blog post with a bit of news that's already been announced on Life Between Frames but also deserves a few words on this blog as well. My short film, Kristin Grace from Outer Space, has been selected to screen at the 13th Annual Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham, AL.


The short stars newcomer Kaylin Quinlivan, as well as long time Sign Me Up! collaborators, Steve Rabin and Bart Hyatt.


Actress Kaylin Quinlivan

We're excited to screen at Sidewalk, even with only a 3 minute short, as many indie filmmakers have shown their work there. Joe Swanberg consistently takes a lot of his films to Sidewalk and this year the festival will open with a screening of Ti West's new film, The Innkeepers. I definitely plan on attending and taking in some of the films and good Southern atmosphere.

I'd also like to take a few minutes to formally announce my next project. The film is currently titled PUMPKIN, but that's a name I expect will change sooner rather than later. Pumpkin is a hell of an experiment that not even I can really explain at this point.  It's being shot on VHS-C cameras to pass as footage from a bad indie horror movie from the early 1990's, but that's only half of what the film really is. I'd rather keep the rest of it under wraps for now, but I'll keep this blog updated with all the horror related aspects until I'm ready to introduce the other elements.

I have a cast in place and have already shot two days of principal photography. I'll be posting a wrap up on those two days later, but before that I'll start announcing the cast and crew. The only casting news I'll get into in this post is that Dick Dyszel, known for his acting in Nightbeast and his portrayal of Count Gore De Vol on the long running show Creature Feature, will be making a cameo in the film by way of old Creature Feature footage. It's an honor to be using this stock footage in our film and I'd like to thank Dick again for allowing us to use it.

I'll leave you with a sketch for our Motel 12 design which will be featured in the film. I love shooting in motels, and since we are normally already paying for actors to stay in them anyway, I try to incorporate them into the actual movie as much as I can. I must say though, after this one, I'll probably be staying away from heavy motel shooting for a long time! 

Motel 12 logo from upcoming film.

No comments:

Post a Comment